Tuesday, July 17, 2012

J. I. Packer on the Puritans and Sanctification

Here's a great little video at Desiring God with J. I. Packer discussing the benefit of studying the Puritans, particularly their writings on sanctification. Dr. Packer's work, and his pointing back to the teaching of the Puritans, was especially beneficial in directing me away from myself and toward the work of Christ for not only my sanctification, but also my justification, thereby freeing me from much confusion and guilt placed in me by my Fundamentalist upbringing. If only Evangelicals were to spend time reading the Puritans, rather than wasting their time with every new, hip book to come off the presses. If this were to happen more, I am convinced that the godliness of the church in America would vastly improve. Not a reality today, but a matter for prayer, no doubt.

No comments: