Friday, September 15, 2006

Music Recommendations

When I find music that I think is really good, I like to be able to recommend it to others. Because of this, I have decided that I will attempt to, once a week, place one or two album recommendations on this blog. I will be putting links to Amazon simply for the convenience of those interested in tracking these cd’s down. I’m not receiving any reimbursement from Amazon for this, but their website is a good place to start in learning about what’s out there and what others have said about the music. You might want to try to get these else where, and if you do, then I say do it.

Here are a couple to start out with. I thought I would begin with a couple from a more classical direction.

First is this rendition of J. S. Bach’s French Suites for keyboard. I am aware that these have been performed and recorded numerous times on piano, but I’m a bit partial to the harpsichord. So that’s the instrument used on this recording. These are solo keyboard pieces. It is a two disc set, and it is incredibly inexpensive at that. I wish I was well enough educated in music theory and history to comment further on this, but I’m not. I just like them.

Second is a cd that appears to be out of print, but I will recommend it anyway. It is this recording from the early music ensemble Hesperion XX. This is a compilation cd from many of their works. It is the only cd I have by them, but I love it. I have a great interest in early music instruments, the most of which I have no idea what their names are. But once again, my ignorance in the technicalities of the music doesn’t prevent me from enjoying it. If you can track it down somewhere, pick it up.

The Hesperion XX cd might be showing as out of print on Amazon's website because it is imported from France. If you go looking for it, then, you might consider checking on a website that specializes in International music.

No comments: